Bldg. 820 Marshall Road - Fort Bliss
(915) 568-7280 / (915) 568-5803
Auto Crafts (Full Service) Shop
|Auto Hobby Shop (Do It Yourself)
Avoid the high cost of car repairs and have your vehicle serviced at the on-post Family and MWR Auto Crafts Shop - give your car a routine maintenance check and receive yearly state inspections.
Fort Bliss MWR Auto Crafts has a do-it-yourself hobby shop that provides soldiers the opportunity to work on their own vehicle to avoid costly repair bills and offers professional repair services for those individuals who would rather receive professional assistance.
Detailed work such as brake jobs, complete with disk and drum turning, are readily available. The center also features Texas State Inspection validation services so that Soldiers can get their vehicle inspected and certified at a very convenient location. Walk-in repair requests are accepted, depending on the center's workload.
The MWR Automotive Hobby Shop, located inside Auto Crafts, is a do-it-yourself repair shop that provides lots of space - eleven bays with lifts, five bays without lifts, and one pit - where soldiers and Family and MWR patrons can work on their own vehicles and avoid costly repair bills. There are also six RV bays available for hobby shop patrons to work on their personal vehicles. A wide selection of tools is available for hobby shop patrons to check out. Auto Crafts employees are available to assist with questions on technical problems and provide verbal instruction to hobby shop patrons.
The Auto Hobby Shop also offers an online tool that helps “do it yourselfers” by providing step-by-step instructions on automotive repairs. This is a free service to any Auto Craft Shop patron; all you have to do is request help at the customer service window.
The facility offers an excellent opportunity for soldiers and other authorized patrons to accomplish routine maintenance on their vehicle such as oil and filter changes, tire rotation, lubrication, and radiator flushing without much expense. Vehicle storage is available for more long-term projects.
Automotive Skills shop patrons must attend a 30-minute safety class before using shop equipment. Classes are offered Wednesday and Thursday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 8 a.m. Please call for specific dates and times.
Depending on the make and model of your vehicle, the MWR Auto Crafts Shop ASE Certified mechanics are also trained for maintenance and repair on the following:
- Oil Changes
- Transmission Service
- Water Pumps
What you need to know about Texas State Inspections
- Inspections are conducted under legal requirements and standards set forth by the state of Texas and must be followed exactly as written.
- Please sign in when you arrive and wait in the area to ensure timely service; you may also leave your vehicle for inspections and we will notify you upon completion.
- Average completion time is 25 minutes; heavy wait times will occur during the first and last few days of the month.
- Bring a valid (non-expired) insurance card and, to the best of your ability, make sure all systems are working properly
- Horn, lights, parking brake operational
- Tires and brakes in good condition
- No broken lens covers
- Vehicles less than 2 years and more than 25 years, and all government vehicles receive safety tests only; emissions inspections are not required. Vehicles more than 2 and less than 25 years, will receive both safety and emissions tests.
- Texas inspection stickers are required on all vehicles that enter post daily, regardless of the state in which it is licensed.
- Inspection personnel are required by law to place the sticker on the vehicle at the time of inspection.
- Emissions testing requires that the engine be warm (10-15 minutes).
- Personnel with out of state plates should consult the inspector for the most current information regarding inspections and vehicle licensing procedures for their state.
- Ask the inspector for information if you plan to change your state plates to Texas plates.
Hazardous Waste Reminder
Members of Fort Bliss' Military Family Housing are reminded that all hazardous waste materials are to be dropped of at the HazMart, Bldg. 2515 on Jeb Stuart Road. This facility is available to post personnel for the safe disposal of harmful products generated in homes or in the workplace, including paints, used motor oil and filters, solvents, pesticides, batteries and household cleaners. If a container of hazardous waste appears not to be safe or is leaking, call curbside pick-up service at 569-6393. There have been recent incidences of acid-like materials being dropped of at Fort Bliss' Auto Repair Center, which is not an authorized drop off site for most hazardous waste. The only items that the Auto Repair Center can accept are engine oil, transmission oil, antifreeze and oil filters. These items must be turned into the customer service window to ensure safe handling and storage of the hazardous material. A disposal fee is required for some items. For additional information, please call the HazMart at 568-3848.
MWR Highlighted Sponsor