The military lifestyle presents unique challenges to military spouses who are looking for employment due to frequent relocations. The Employment Readiness Program (ERP) was originally created to specifically address the employment needs of today's military spouses by providing them with the tools they need to successfully search for and obtain employment.
Located inside Army Community Service, Building 2494, Ricker Road, our Resource Center contains a well-stocked library with books and DVDs on career options, résumés, cover letters, job interviewing, federal employment, customer service training, office etiquette, and entrepreneurship. Whether you are new to the job market, changing careers, or a seasoned professional, the Employment Readiness Program can help you gain the tools you need to stay competitive in today's job market.
Become an ACS instructor! Army Community Service offers instructor training courses, briefer training courses and facilitator training courses throughout the year.
These courses are mandatory for all ACS staff and any volunteers who will be teaching or briefing. For example, every Army Family Team Building volunteer is mandated to take instructor training and briefer training before they can teach AFTB classes.
Training is open to all ACS employees and volunteers, and to anyone who would like to gain skills in teaching and briefing.
Instructor training courses are offered as a two-day class from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Upcoming courses include April 16-17 and June30-July1.
Briefer training courses are offered as a one-day class from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Upcoming courses include May 7 and August 6.
Facilitator training courses are offered as a two-day session, from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. each day. The next facilitator training course is set for October 7-8.
All classes are held at the Family Resilience Center, Bldg. 250 Club Road on Fort Bliss. Pre-registration is required. Register online at blissmwr.com/mtc. For more information, call (915) 569-5500.
KEY LINKS FOR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU:
- Job postings
- Computers, copy & fax machine
- Resource library
- Career coaching
- Military Spouse Employment Partnership Program
- Free job search skills workshops & job fairs
- Small & home-based business counseling
- Attire for Hire
ATTEND A FREE JOB SEARCH SKILLS WORKSHOP:
- Writing a Winning Resume
- Creating Connections for Job Search Success: Networking to Get Working
- Ten Steps to a Federal Job
- Ace Your Next Job Interview!
- Career Exploration & Planning
- Jumpstart Your Job Search
- How to Mobilize Your Home Business
Free child care is available for military spouses to attend a workshop with pre-registration and advance reservations through Child, Youth and School Services! Class schedules can be downloaded here or at picked up at ACS.
SPOUSE EMPLOYMENT ORIENTATION
Are you a military spouse new to the area and seeking employment? The Employment Readiness Program has partnered with Workforce Solutions of Upper Rio Grande to deliver orientation weekly to educate spouses on services available to them and employment opportunities in the local area. Orientation is held at ACS, Bldg. 2494, Ricker Road, every Wednesday at 10 a.m. Please call 569-5838 to sign up for the orientation.
ONLINE WORKSHOPS AVAILABLE!
Not able to attend a face-to-face workshop? Still need assistance with preparing your resume or going on a job interview? Free online training guides are available at www.susanireland.com in:
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing, Interviewing, E-resumes, and Salary Negotiation
- Over 100 samples and tips are also on the site to assist you with your job search training
NEED COMPUTER TRAINING?
- Online Computer & Software Training: Learn basic computer skills as well as popular software programs like MS Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint by visiting www.free-ed.net All classes are delivered in an online format and are available at no cost.
- Self-Paced Computer Lab: Goodwill Industries Workforce Services Department offers free computer training in a variety of software programs such as Internet Basics, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access. Location: 1155 Westmoreland, El Paso, TX 79924 915-778-1858. Hours of computer lab are Mon - Fri 9:45 am to 5:00 pm.
Interested in starting a local small or home-based business?
Representatives from the Women's Business Border Center are now available ACS by appointment to speak to you about entrepreneurship and available avenues to get your business idea up and running. They specialize in educating potential business owners on writing business plans, marketing, start-up considerations, permits, licenses, contracting opportunities, and loan packaging.