The Financial Readiness Program offers education, counseling and support services to assist Soldiers and their families with their financial affairs, including living within their means and investing for the future. Services offered FREE to Soldiers and their families include:
- Consumer Credit Counseling Services
- Debt management - Are you in a financial crisis with creditors? Consumer Credit Counseling Services (CCCS) assists individuals in financial crisis by working with creditors to develop plans to pay off debts and live in a cash-based lifestyle. Army Community Service in partnership with CCCS, offers a no-cost, budget counseling and debt management service with certified credit counselor Philip Priest. He will work with you on money problems caused by pay issues, separation and divorce, reduction in pay, overspending, credit abuse, predatory lending problems and more. To get control of your debt, call ACS at 569-4ACS (4227). Appointments are scheduled in the morning and walk-ins start at 1 p.m.
- Budget counseling - Are you overwhelmed in managing your finances? Let us help you develop a budget that will work for you. We will review your assets, liabilities and financial goals and arm you with the knowledge, skills and resources to achieve those financial goals. Brochure
- Consumer Affairs
- Consumer Complaint Resolution - Have your consumer rights have been violated? If so, you can file a DA Form 5184-R Consumer Complaint and submit to our Consumer Advocate at ACS. When filing a complaint please attach all relevant and supporting documentation, i.e. warranties, bill of sale, correspondence with merchant, etc.
- Emergency Food Vouchers - Emergency food voucher is to assist active duty and retired military families with food in an emergency, not to exceed 3 days.
- Family Supplemental Substance Allowance (FSSA) - The FSSA is designed to offer an additional cash subsistence allowance of up to $500 for military families or households. It is an initiative to increase Basic Allowance for Subsistence and remove military families from the food stamp program. Program Screening
- Personal Financial Coaching - One on one financial coaching available to assist soldiers and family members achieve their personal financial goals.
- Financial Readiness Classes and Education
Come to our preventive classes at Army Community Service for Soldiers and family members who are feeling overwhelmed with financial issues. ACS has a staff of financial educators to provide information on getting finances under control. Class dates and times can be found in the Financial Readiness Program Fact Sheet (below). The classes provided are Banking and Checking, Planning and Budgeting, Understanding Credit, Savings, Investments, TSP, Debt Management, and Car Buying and Insurance. Child care vouchers are given for free child care for children registered at CYSS. Call 568-8956 for assistance in getting your child into daycare and attend a financial class!
- Scheduled classes - See schedule below.
- Unit Training & FRG Training - Financial Readiness classes offered to the units and FRG. Classes can be tailored to fit the needs of your group.
- First Term Financial Readiness Training: THIS IS A MANDATORY TRAINING FOR E1 TO E3 ON THEIR FIRST ENLISTMENT, PER AR 608-1, in-processing to Fort Bliss. This training can now be easily conducted online at www.myarmylifetoo.com. For more information, call 568-4614.
- Credit Repair: There are so many credit card offers and loans out there, how do you know which is best for you. This class will explain the different types of accounts that exist, the importance of viewing your credit report, knowing your debt to income and ratio, and more. Please bring with you to class a copy of your credit report, if possible. A free credit report can be obtained once per year at www.annualcreditreport.com. To register for the class, call 569-4ACS (4227).
- Car Buying & Insurance: Car buying requires time and research. You will leave with tips, resources and facts that will make you a smarter shopper when it comes to vehicles. To register, call 569-4ACS (4227).
- S aving, Investing & TSP: You don’t need to have a lot of money to save money. There are three types of saving accounts you should have: emergency, short-term goals, and retirement. If you have all three, you’re in great shape. If you only have one or neither, than come to our Saving, Investing & TSP class to learn how. To register, call 569-4ACS (4227).
- Planning & Budgeting: Do you feel like no matter how hard you try to pay all your bills, you still find yourself living paycheck to paycheck, worse yet; strapped for cash? If so, this class is for you. To register, call 569-4ACS (4227).
- Debt Management: Are you up to your eyeballs in debt? Do you find yourself paying more in fees than the original balance? Come learn how to minimize your debt. To register, call 569-4ACS (4227).
Want to take the Financial Readiness Program's "Understanding Insurance" class but can't find the time? Check it out here! Click the image to download the class presentation.
Let the Financial Readiness Program at Army Community Service teach you how to prepare great food on a shoestring budget. Dinner on a Dime focuses on making quick, healthy, affordable meals. Click here to view upcoming dates and register for classes.