Mickelsen Community Library
Bldg 2E Sheridan Rd.
Basement of Wing E of the Community Headquarters Building (Bldg 2)
underneath the NCO Academy568-6156 or 568-1902
Mickelsen Library was dedicated to the memory of Lieutenant General Stanley R. Mickelsen, 1895-1966. Stanley R. Mickelsen was a visionary leader who brought the Army's Air Defense Artillery from the era of guns into the age of missiles. A native of Minnesota, he attended the University of Minnesota and entered the Army in 1917 as a second lieutenant in the Coast Artillery Corps. During World War II, he served on the War Department General Staff and later commanded an antiaircraft brigade. From 1950 to 1952, he was the Commanding General at Fort Bliss. LTG Mickelsen then became the Commanding General, Headquarters, Antiaircraft Command (ARAACOM) in Colorado, in charge of the Army's part in the nation's continental defense system during the Cold War. He retired from the Army in 1957. Center Library was collocated with the United States Army Air Defense Artillery School Library in building 2, E-wing, in June, 1996 and later renamed Mickelsen Library in a dedication ceremony held 18 June 1997.
Mickelsen Community Library hosts Read Me a Story for 2-5 year olds on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. and Family Story Time for 2-6 year olds on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. Story hour consists of stories, songs and games, and simple crafts and usually lasts about one hour. Parents must remain with their children during story time. Mickelsen Community Library is located in the basement of Bldg 2E. Call 568-6156 for more information.
The Mickelsen Library offers:
- Books - Over 35,000 volumes on all types of subjects, including fiction
- Periodicals - Over 90 magazines and newspapers
- Reference - (915) 568-1902
- Interlibrary Loan - (915) 568-6156
- Story Times: Tuesdays - 10:30 a.m. for children 2–5 years old & Saturdays – 10:30 a.m. for children 2-6 years old; must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Access to the Internet
Mon-Fri 0800-1800, Sat. 0900-1800
Sun and Holidays-Closed
This information is for both sides (adult and child)
A 24-hour book drop is located at each end of E-wing. An inside book drop is located in the corridor at the bottom of the entrance stairway.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where are you located?
- We are located in the basement of Headquarters Building (Bldg 2) in E-wing directly underneath the NCO Academy. To reach our location from Cassidy Road, drive south on Pershing Road to Pershing Circle. Turn right on Pershing Circle. There are designated library parking spots on Pershing Circle. If all are taken, continue on to the parking lot beside Sage Hall (Bldg 311); there are usually some parking spots there. The entrance to the Library location faces south - the flagpole. The Japanese Garden is on the left as you approach the building. Near the building you will see a large sign labeled "LTG Stanley R. Mickelsen Library." Go through the double glass doors and down the stairs.
- Do you have Army regulations, field manuals, training manuals, etc.?
- No, we do not.
- What newspapers do you take?
- We take the following:
- "Army Times" (weekly) in both libraries
- "El Paso Times" (daily) in both libraries
- "Federal Times" (weekly) in the Community Library
- "New York Times" (Sunday only) in the Community Library
- "USA Today" (daily) in both libraries
- "Wall Street Journal" (daily) in the Community Library
- "Dallas Morning News" (Sunday only)
- Can I renew my library books or other material over the telephone?
- How do I get a library card?
- You must have a valid military or Department of Defense civilian identification card to be eligible to borrow materials from the library. You must complete the Ft. Bliss Mickelsen Library Registration Card before you can check out library materials. The information on the registration card will be added to the library's on-line database system. If you are an eligible family member/sponsor's, correct and complete unit of assignment, duty phone number, and official email address. The sponsor's social security number is the library borrower's card number. For your convenience, you may download and print the library's registration card. Fill it out and bring it with you to expedite the registration process. Click here to access the Registration Card.